Webmaster - Infos


   visitors online

The castle chateau de Javerlhac is a renaissance construction.

The edifice is recognized by the french ministry. It is family owned so therefore unavailable to visit.

The first mention of the chateau of Javerlhac dates back to 1225.

It was burnt down by Edmond of Langley earl of Cambridge - 1st duke of Uork, fourth son of king Edward III of England (5th June 1341-1st August 1402). In the year 1362 aged 21 years he was created earl of Cambridge. This period was of the Hundred Years' War.

The first lord of chateau was known as Renout (1225). Then his son Bernard Ramnulphi (1248) and Aymeric Vigier.

Of the first buildint remain certain foundations of walls and frustrated openings.

In 1499 Dauphin Pastoureau received for the viscomte of Limoges the taxes and rentes of the chatellerie of Nontron. He buys the lordship of Javerlhac and restores chateau, church, mill and dovecote (la fuye).

In 1507 Barthelemy Texier and his wife Jeanne Pastoureau own the castle. The branch of Texier, marquis of Javerlhac disappeared in 1821. A farmer then bought the property. Later Fompuy-Boulouneix, Mousnier-Lomprie and now the family Pelpel-Rochette.

Le chateau

Two other lords would hve been proprietors of th chateau. However the dates still need to be verified:

Louis of Rochechouart – in fact many Louis are known, 3 in the 14th century and one other lived from 1550 to 1590.

Jehan of Maulmont (16th century) was also the prorietor of chateau of Viellecour (commune of Saint-Pierre-de-Frugie) – been given that Dauphin Pastoureau bought the castle in 1499, it was probably one of his ancestors.

Creation date : 07/02/2012 • 22:47
Last update : 08/02/2017 • 12:01
Category : - Javerlhac history
Page read 4321 times

Reactions to this article

Reaction #1 

by Kheops 11/02/2012 • 18:51

Ca serait une bonne idee de nous faire visiter le chateau (au moins une fois)


Good to know

There is a bus from Angoulême to Nontron via Javerlhac (ligne 20).

Since september 2012 it costs only 1 Euro to go to Angoulême. The bus stop on the place 8 Mai 1945. Now it is cheap and easy to town for an afternoon.

Les horaires sur le site du Conseil général de la Charente (ICI)


see also

the weather station Météo la Maladrerie (Nontron)

Page Footer

Javerlhac Découverte (Syndicat d'initiative) de Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert - all rights reserved 2004-2017

Webmaster: Sigrun Strunk